Hi-de-HI and how the DICKENS are you all..?!? I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend (spare a thought for those of us who those words carry no meaning!). I was actually off on the Monday and so it wasn't so bad after-all. This week has been pretty okay so far. I am really starting to FEEL and enjoy that little nip in the air when i leave for work - it won't be long before i can start piling mounds of homemade bramley apple compote into bowls of warmed honey-ed porridge for breakfast and that my friends is a FINE thing. I am thinking of delving into homemade jam-making this Autumn. I am thinking blackberry, or green gage, or a soft set spiced rhubarb. Is making jam hard?!? I suppose we should get on with what's been fine fine fine lately this week so far, before we all start nattering about best-practise jam making skills and forget it's Wonderful Wednesday altogether!
* Getting my baking-shaped GROOVE on. I love to cook and if i can make something from scratch then i enjoy it all the more. With cooking you can make it up as you go along, once you've got the basics sorted. Along with trying to eat along with seasons, i also promised myself that i was going to try and learn to bake a bit better. I'm not awful but the two crucial skills that baking requires are patience and the ability to follow instructions. They are two life skills that i don't excel well in. With baking you can't just make it up as you go along. Luckily with a little help from the Mr (and my old pals Hugh and Jamie) this week we have enjoyed homemade spelt soda bread and banana bread. I cannot tell you how much i ENJOYED myself once i got my head round it all: measuring and weighing and not just throwing handfuls of things into pans and such. There's no going back now! The Mr has already requested that i bake a banana bread at least once a week for him to take along for breakfast.
* Royal Blood. Heard of them..?!? Neither had i. I sort of STUMBLED upon them watching Glasto few weeks back; found them on Spotify and saved them. Then aptly forgot about them, as you do. I found them again this week and enjoyed playing their DELICIOUSLY dirty rock music full blast on bank holiday monday as i tickled about our little somewhere.
* The MR. For getting all ready to go to Sainsbury's at silly o'clock to buy more ingredients after i got in a strop and measured some things wrong on banana bread take one. And for sitting through Made in Chelsea NYC on Sunday - even if he did spend most of the time with his hands over his eyes, shaking his head in dismay. And for carrying our BEAUTIFUL new chest of draws up three flights of stairs on his lunch hour. And for always knowing when i need a really good cup of tea and a hug the very most. That my friends, is real life LOVE.
* Autumn LIGHT. In the form of the most beautifully pink bedroom i awoke to on Tuesday morning. The sun must have just been peeping up from behind the clouds and our bedroom was FILLED with the prettiest pink light. It danced upon the slanted ceiling in a stripe-y fashion as it peeped its way through our skylight blind and even though i knew it was a little while before i needed to get up, i lay AWAKE and watched it anyway. It was perfect and filled me with such joy.
* Giving advice WISELY and actually sounding like i know what i am talking about. It's reassuring when you spend most of your life saying things the wrong way round and getting bruises upon bruises - yes really. When my younger sister rang recently and wanted to talk, i was such a wealth of wisdom and advice that i rather surprised myself.
* British APPLES. Brought from the market, all nobbl-y and half granny smith green, the other a bright crimson red. The tastiest apple-y apples with the most delectable crunch that i think i have ever had since…well probably this time last year. I am going to eat apple after apple all the way through Autumn until they come out of my ears and it's time for clementines at Christmas!
* The most blustery of BREEZES on the brightest most blue-skied Tuesday walk to work. The kind that blows your hair this way and that and sends leaves flying from trees and swirling this way and that and if you squint, Autumn, well you're almost here and i can't wait!
* Finishing each day with a china mug filled to the BRIM with spiced apple and camomile tea with the Mr and stories about our days.
* * *
It's been a jolly good week so far. I love this time of year, even though its been many moons since i had to even remotely consider going back to school and all of the paraphernalia that goes along with it, there is something special about this time of year. It makes you ready to start again, ready to take a deep breath and breathe in Autumn and brace yourself for Winter. It's pretty LOVELY.
What has been making you SMILE this week so far dear and lovely faces?!? Please do share because you do know how much i love to read your comments. Remember you can always tweet me your #wonderfulwednesday too. I am @sallytangle. Wishing you all a wonderful Wednesday and the rest of the week and weekend all in one go too.