Breakfast of Champions: Chocolate & Banana Super Hero Porridge.

I'm quite surprised i haven't managed to CONCOCT one of these kinds of recipes so far on Sallytangle - heaven knows that i am forever tinkering with what i like to eat for my breakfast. If you've been a reader of this little spot for…well more than a couple of weeks, or you happen to follow me on any other social media, you'll know how often i profess my love for the first meal of the day.  I'm not altogether SURE where this deep love of breakfast comes from.  I guess from living alone for a bit after uni, i honed my breakfast-making skills to pretty much perfection.  Heaven knows eating breakfast for lunch and for dinner is far easier when there's just one of you!  I like breakfast because it's quite often the easiest meal to make, the most simple and for me (an especially busy-bee - whether that be cycling or fizzing and whizzing about Monsoon Towers) the most important because it ultimately fuels me and keeps me going right through until lunch. 

For the most part of my diet i am relatively healthy.  As we all know by now i am keen celebrator of a walnut whip here and there (or in fact MOST days!) but the key thing for me in what i eat is balance:  a good balance of fruit, vegetables, grains and good proteins.  But if i want a piece of cake i'll have a piece of cake.  I just wouldn't have a piece of cake every day.  I love eating and luckily for me I have always enjoyed those things that are good for me.  My breakfast logic is that if you start the day putting GOOD into your system, you're far more likely a) to feel better and b) to make better choices throughout the rest of the day.  So lets stop wittering shall we and get to how to make one of my all time favourite breakfasts i like to call:  Chocolate and Banana Super Hero Porridge. 

Ingredients (serves one)
One small cup of unsweetened almond milk
One small cup of rolled oats
One small very ripe banana
Two teaspoons of raw cacao powder
Two teaspoons of chia seeds
Mixed seeds (optional)
 Method
1.  Add milk to a non-stick milk pan and warm through on a medium heat.  Just as you would if you were making regular on-the-hob kind of porridge.

2.  Whilst the milk is warming through, mash the banana to form a smooth paste.  You could leave it more chunky if you like, i just prefer the smoother texture.

3.  Once the milk is hot, and just before the point of boiling; remove from the hob, add the oats and mashed banana and combine.  Return to the heat and keep stirring.

4.  After a couple of minutes add the raw cacao powder.  Again you can add more or less than i have recommended - i just have a particularly sweet tooth and like an extra rich and chocolate-y bowl ;)

5.  Keep stirring for about three to four minutes or until the oats are cooked through and you are happy with the consistency.  I like my porridge quite thick but if you prefer it a bit runnier you could add a touch more milk and warm a bit longer.

6.  Remove from the heat and pour into your favourite breakfast bowl.  'Cos we all have one of those don't we? Add two teaspoons of chai seeds and stir well.  Garnish with a handful of mixed seeds (i use sunflower, pumpkin and golden linseed) - this just adds a little bit of texture.  Et voila:  Chocolate and Banana Super hero Porridge!
 See i told you it was EASY-PEASY.  It's superhero because Almond milk is packed full of vitamins and plant nutrients and is much kinder on your tummy than dairy milk.  Oats are an excellent slow-release form of energy which will keep you going until lunch, aswell as being jolly good for your ticker.  Using raw cacao is much better for you as it is completely natural, unrefined and contains no sugar.  Cacao in its rawest form means that none of the super hero antidoxants are lost and stay inside and so it does wonders for your insides.  And chia seeds are just bursting at the flipping seams with good proteins which will keep you nice and full, especially combined with the oats.  I add the seeds for an extra boost of happy fats and also for a bit of texture but you can always leave that step out.  
*  *  *  
This recipe can be adapted at least a MILLION ways - no jokes.  Although it takes five minutes or so in total to make, you could always substitute the oats for the microwaveable kind.  You just add the cacao in with the oats and cold milk.  I just prefer original rolled oats as there's nothing added.  It's equally yummy with hazelnut milk and topped with chopped hazelnuts - a sort of nutella-without-nutella porridge.  I have also been known to add a teaspoon of peanut butter, or coconut flakes or even top with fresh raspberries or strawberries.  It's the most delicious way to start the day, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me!  You really don't need to add any sweetener - the banana adds just enough, whilst also working with the almond milk to make the creamiest bowl of porridge you'll have ever eaten - trust me!
*  *  *    
I'd love to know if you give it a go!  And also if you'd like to see more of these kind of breakfast-ey posts from my little self!  Remember to hashtag any tweets or instagrams with #Sallytanglemakes so i can see if anyone gives it a go!  
 
Happy breakfast-ing!